This role has now expired. Please see our jobs page for more opportunities.
Help tell our unique and exciting story, building unprecedented public support for mental health research.
As Communications Officer you’ll play a pivotal role at MQ, working across the breadth of our communications activity as well as providing a key link with our research and fundraising teams.
You’ll take the lead on some of our core communications projects, and also on a day-today basis provide critical first line support to the wider communications team, ensuring we work efficiently and keep up to speed with policy and media developments.
You’ll need excellent communication skills, with a flair for writing, and a minimum of two years experience. You'll also have excellent attention to detail, initiative and strong IT competence. An understanding of mental health and science is an advantage, but not essential. An appetite for learning and developing new skills certainly is.
Download the job description and specification (PDF).
To apply for this role please send your cv and covering letter (maximum one page) to email@example.com, including information on where you saw the job advertised.
Planning & performance
- Support the development of MQ communications project plans and assist in implementation
- Write, edit and support the dissemination of draft materials for a range of key MQ audiences for use across all key communications channels, including the production of media releases, blogs and statements as needed
- Work with the MQ science team to develop creative and engaging content around MQ’s research programmes for use in branding, communications and fundraising activity, as directed by the Head of Communications.
- Support the development of MQ communications and research events in accordance to project plans.
Research, monitoring and administration
- Carry out media, stakeholder and policy monitoring and provide regular reporting to inform MQ projects and briefing documents.
- Maintain and refresh stakeholder and media databases as agreed with Head of Communications.
- Provide administrative support to ensure smooth operation of regular Communications Team meetings and ad hoc activities, as set out in weekly team planning.
- Work with the Digital Communications Manager to implement MQ’s digital strategy, including developing and publishing content for the website, social media platforms, and supporter communications, in accordance with protocols.
Policy and public affairs
- Assist in the implementation of MQ’s policy and public affairs activity, including carrying out research and drafting copy for MQ’s internal and external policy briefings and campaign development.
- Uphold MQ policies and guidelines across all communications functions and activities; ensure that MQ is compliant with external regulations and Leadership Team is promptly informed of any deviation therefrom
Provide other support to the team as and when required.
In joining a small entrepreneurial team we would want you to feel comfortable working in the spirit of all our values and behaviours. We would particularly draw your attention to the values and behaviours listed below that most readily support this role.
- Collaborative: inclusive in approach, sharing expertise and offering support across all teams for the wider benefit of the charity
- Effective & Efficient: results driven, continually working to improve personal and collective performance
- Inclusive: continuous engagement and updating of all key stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial: taking educated risks and implementing innovative solutions
- Minimum two years of experience in a communications or equivalent role, such as marketing or policy.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills together with the ability to adapt language to suit different audiences and media.
- Proven experience of generating great written content, on and offline
- Understanding of the scope of different media channels and how they can best be used to communicate to different audiences
- Strong research and monitoring skills
- Ability to study, understand and present complex arguments in a clear and appealing way to a wide range of audiences, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organise own time effectively to meet task deadlines and produce accurate and well researched/prepared work within team and project timetable
- A track record at delivering administrative tasks on time
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Illustrator (desirable)
- Knowledge of Google Analytics (desirable)
- Experience of using social media platforms for business purposes (desirable)
- Degree level or equivalent
Personal attributes & availability
- Willingness to work additional hours according to specific event or campaign demands
- Availability to travel within the UK and internationally; weekend travel may be necessary
- Must be eligible to work in the UK