1. One in four people will experience a mental health problem in any given year
That’s almost 15 million people in the UK. Or potentially someone in your friendship group or immediate family.
2. 75% of people with a mental health condition will have developed it before the age of 18
For many, this will be before they’ve left school. Or even really know who they are.
3. And three in four people are not even receiving treatment.
Meaning too many people left in the dark every day.
4. The sad truth? One person dies every 40 seconds from suicide.
And the worst part is that – unlike many other conditions – the numbers who are dying keep on going up.
5. Why is it so bad? Because we haven’t demanded better.
Despite millions of people affected, and suicide being the number one killer of young men in the UK, things aren’t improving quickly enough.
Medical research has treated and prevented illness after illness. Now we have to demand the same for mental illness.
Because through research we can improve treatments and change lives.
Last updated: 1 June 2016