World Suicide Prevention Day is held each year on the 10th September. The event is organised by the International Association for Suicide Prevention, and co-sponsored by the World Health Organisation. The theme this year is 'Connect, Communicate, Care'.
How to get involved in World Suicide Prevention Day
- Check in on someone you may be concerned about and ask how they’re doing
- Spread the word on social media using #WorldSuicidePreventionDay or #WSPD16
- Connect with others who are working to promote the day
The facts on suicide
- More than 6,000 people in the UK take their own life each year
- 90% of those who die by suicide have a mental health condition at the time of their death
- Suicide is the leading cause of death in young men
If you're having thoughts about taking your own life, it's important that you ask someone for help. It might be very hard for you to see at this time, but you're not alone and you’re not beyond help.
If you're having a mental health emergency or feeling suicidal visit our urgent advice resource, and contact a service organisation that will be able to help.
Last updated: 10 September 2016