If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, then the organisations and services below can provide you with help and advice.
In a medical emergency
- Please phone the Emergency Services number on 999.
If you are feeling distressed or are concerned about someone else
- Samaritans provides confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day. The Samaritans can be called on 116 123.
- You can also contact your local Samaritans branch if you'd like to talk to someone in your region.
If you are not in need of urgent help
- Visiting your local GP is the best of source of information if you need non-urgent help with a mental health problem.
If you need help out of normal working hours
- If you can't reach a GP during normal working hours(9am-5pm, Monday – Friday), or are unable to access your GP, ring NHS direct on 111 for medical advice.
- You can also visit your nearest A&E department.
If you are worried about a child or young person
- YoungMinds Parents Helpine offer free, confidential online and telephone support, including information and advice, to any adult worried about the emotional problems, behaviour or mental health of a child or young person up to the age of 25.
- The helpline is open from 9:30am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday. You can also call them on 0808 802 5544.
If you are under 19
- Childline offers help and support to children and teenagers. If you ring you will be put through to a counsellor who can offer you free, confidential advice and information. The Childline helpline can be called on 0800 1111.
If you would like further information or support
SANE runs a national, out-of-hours mental health helpline offering specialist emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers. The helpline is open every day of the year from 6pm to 11pm. The helpline can be reached on 0300 304 7000.
Mind offer advice, legal information, and support across a range of mental health conditions. The line is open from 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday (except for bank holidays). The infoline can be reached on 0300 123 3393. You can also text Mind at 86463.
- Rethink Mental Illness
Rethink Mental Illness offers practical advice and support to those experiencing severe mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, and to their carers and relatives. The Rethink Advice Line can be reached on 0300 5000 927.
If you would like to talk to others
There are a range of mental health forums where you can talk to others about your experiences and hear their stories too. Below are a few popular support forums: